Travel and Culture in Piedmont
The origins of Turin must be placed in the 3rd century B.C., when some "taurine" tribes of Celtic-Ligurian stock settled along the banks of the river Po.
The town took the name Augusta Taurinorum with the Romans and became an important Roman control outpost of Gaul.
The barbarian invasions began with the fall of the Roman Empire and devastated the town several times, until the Longobards’ arrival (whose domination was followed by a period of piece) that ended with the domination of the Franks.
In the Middle Ages, Turin became a Free Commune and during the fight between the Papacy and the Empire it kept on taking sides with whom could guarantee its independence from the power of the Savoy. Meanwhile, the Savoy strengthened their domination in the Italian and French territories.
In 1280 the Savoy took the power and became part of the intricate game of fights and alliances bound to the town, then also Turin was granted to the Savoy as a feud by Emperor Frederick II.
In the 15th century the Savoy’s provinces were politically unified and Turin became their capital. After the French domination, Duke Emanuele Filiberto obtained the town back and in 1620 Turin further developed, starting off a very rich period, which lasted for two centuries.
In 1861 and then until 1864 Turin became the capital of the Italian Kingdom, also developing its growing industrial vocation, that brought some decisive changes in the town layout.
At the beginning of the twentieth century Turin began to live a period of technological development that influenced and radically transformed the town, leading it to the present-day layout.