Travel and Culture in Calabria
There aren’t many historical references, but it seems that Soverato was called Poliporto (from Greek Polis-portos) in ancient times and that only in 1096 it was named ‘Suberatum’.
A lot of finds (Roman coins, oil and cereals vessels), concerning a harbour settling (maybe seaside Soverato) dated back to the Roman period, were found near the San Nicola beach.
This seaside village survived until the early Middle Ages, when Saracens arrived (in the tenth century): they burnt and plundered this area, so the old seaside village was rebuilt on a hill not far from the coast.
During the following centuries, this territory was subdued by several rules: the Normans in the eleventh century, the Swabians in 1194, the Angevins in 1271, the Aragonese in 1443, until the feud of Soverato went under the control of Borgia, who ruled it for 133 years.
After having faced a terrible earthquake, which destroyed the town completely in 1783, Soverato became autonomous in 1806, when Joseph Napoleon abolished the feudality.
The town was rebuilt once again and, in late 19th century, some inhabitants moved again into the seaside repopulating the area near to the sea.
Nowadays Soverato is made up of three urban settlements, which characterize it: Soverato Marina (Seaside Soverato), Soverato Superiore (Upper Soverato) and Soverato Vecchia (Old Soverato).