Italian travel and study guides

On this page you can find some information which will be useful at the moment of your choice of an Italian course.

It-Schools places at your disposal a wide range of links to the Italian schools that operate on the Italian territory.

So you can visit the sites of each school, where you can find all the details about the courses and the services offered by the schools.
Each school is independent from the other ones and from It-Schools and it fixes its programmes, conditions and prices about the courses.

With this small guide we are trying to offer you a general outlineand some points which you can reflect upon at the moment of your choice, but remember that this is general information. So it is very important for you to verify the conditions offered by every single school.

-Do I need a visa to come to Italy for studying?

You can visit the the site of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation:

Farnesina - Visa


What other documents do I need?

The documents that you cannot forget are:

  • Valid passport or identity card,
  • Tickets and reservations,
  • Medical insurance or E 111 Model (for the citizens of the European Community),
  • Personal medicines or prescriptions.


-How can I have a study grant to realize my course?

If you want to obtain a study grant you have two possibilities: you can collect information about the grants which have been placed at disposal by the government, the universities, the private bodies, etc. of the country where you come from, or about those ones which are offered by the Italian Government.

The study grants offered by the Italian Government are allowed to carry out Italian studies at the schools which have obtained the official acknowledgment of the Ministry of Education.

For further information you can consult the Ministry’s site:

Ministry of Education - Study grants

and the Italian embassies in the respective countries of origin.


-Can I work during my stay in Italy? Are there any schools that can offer me this opportunity?

At present there is a school in It-Schools that offers its students the possibility to work.

Scuola Omnilingua (Sanremo), offers the possibility to attend a stage in the school and it presents some occasions to work in Sanremo. For further information you can visit the page: Scuola Omnilingua


-Which certifications will I obtain after having attended an Italian course?

Generally, at the end of each course, the schools issue a certificate of attendance where they specify the level reached by the student.

Some schools organize courses to obtain Official Certifications of L2 Italian Language.

  • CELI e CIC (Certificazione di conoscenza della Lingua Italiana e Certificato di Conoscenza dell’Italiano Commerciale) - Certification of knowledge of the Italian Language and Certification of knowledge of Business Italian – issued by theUniversity for Foreigners in Perugia:,
  • CILS (Certificazione di Italiano come Lingua Straniera) – Certification of Italian as a Foreign Language – issued by the University for Foreigners in Siena ;
  • IT (Certificato di Italiano) – Italian Certification, issued by Roma Tre University.

Besides, some schools are in partnership with AIL (Accademia Italiana di Lingua – Italian Language Academy -) and organize preparatory courses to obtain the different levels of “Firenze”certification, issued by AIL. In order to have more information you can visit the site: www.acad.it


-When do courses begin?

Generally the group courses begin every two weeks, for the other typologies of courses (intensive, individual, etc.) you have always to verify by contacting the school directly. Some schools are opened all year long, otherwise some other ones close during the winter period or reduce the number of the courses.


-Are the textbooks included?

This is another detail that varies according to the schools and that needs verifying before the enrolment. Textbooks are generally included, but not always.


-Where can I lodge during my stay?

The schools offer an accomodation service research which we advice you to reserve early (even two months before the beginning of the course). The kinds of accomodations are normally the following:

  • In a family with or without the use of kitchen, in a single or a double room.
  • In a flat with other students, in a single or a double room.
  • In a hotel or in a boardinghouse.
  • In a flatlet.
  • In the same school, in case of a residential school.


-Is it possible to catch up the holidays?

There are some holidays on which the schools close, but it is not sure that the lost lessons can be caught up or paid back. This is another piece of information that you need verifying directly with the school.

The national festivities in Italy are the following: 1st January (New Year’s Day), 6th January (Epiphany), one Sunday in March or April (Easter) the following Monday (Easter Monday), 25th April (Liberation Day), 1st May (Labour Day), 15th August (Feast of the Assumption), 1st November (All Saints’Day), 8th December (the Virgin), 25th December (Christmas), 26th December (Boxing Day). We also advice you to collect information about the regional festivities and about the holidays which are specific of the place where you have chosen to attend your course.


-How can I know the level of my Italian knowledge?

Some schools which are present in It-Schools offer in their sites some on-line questionnaires which help you to know your level. In any case, on the first course day, you generally have to go through a language test to verify your level and to understand which course is mostly suitable for your requirements.

If you wish to put yourself to the test, you can visit these pages:


-What shall I ask my school?

To enjoy your course and your stay in Italy to the highest degree, It-Schools recommends you to take information about the following points:

  • How to arrive at your school on the first day and, if necessary, if the school offers the transfer service from the airport (normally this is charged).
  • The extra-school activities and the special courses that you can take advantage of during your stay.
  • Maximum and minimum number of students per class.
  • Possible use of Internet and Fax in the school.
  • Conditions in case of cancellation of the course.
  • Terms of payment.


-Other suggestions and useful link:

-ISIC Card:

The International Student Card (ISIC card) is the sole document that states internationally your status as a full time student and testifies your identity. It allows all its owners to take advantage of a widebroad net of reductions and facilitations all over the world.For further information:

-Youth hostels::


sitemap xml
Powered by the Big Medium content management system.